Announcements - 2016/2017 School Year
Dates to Remember:
- March 6, 2017 - Spring Grant Application Deadline, Apply Now online or download Word or PDF grant application.
- April 6, 2017 - NEW DATE: Community Adult Spelling Bee
- April 12, 2017 - Parent University: Creating a Dialogue About Bullying and Cyberbullying
- October, 2017 - Fall Grant Application Deadline
Annual Community Adult Spelling Bee
Thursday, April 6, 2017, 7:00 pm
Location: Toddy Brook, North Yarmouth
Form a team, sponsor a team, or simply come out and watch as adults from the Cumberland/North Yarmouth community engage in a TEAM approach to this friendly competition! Although not required, costumes and team names are encouraged! Complimentary snacks and cash bar provided.Be prepared - read up on the rules and Spelling Bee flow ahead of time!
Parent U: Creating a Dialogue about Bullying and Cyberbullying
Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 6-8 pm
Speaker: Mandy Levine
Location: Greely Middle School Cafeteria
Please join us as we talk about bullying and cyberbullying and ways to help our kids (and ourselves!) navigate these complex issues. In this open discussion we’ll address:
- Identifying the various types of bullying and cyberbullying, and their impact;
- Explore ways to empower our children - and ourselves - to stand up to bullying and cyberbullying;
- Discuss steps we can take if our children themselves engage in bullying behavior; and
- Explore resources available in our schools and community.
Fall Grant Awards:
We have awarded $9,259 in grant funds this Fall Grant Cycle. These grants reach across many grades and touch students and teachers in almost every school.
- Second Language Acquisition Through Comprehension and Compelling Texts
- Storytelling Across the Primary Curriculum
- Making Our Community Safe and Stronger by Supporting Healthy Development of Boys
- Self-Regulation Through Deep Pressure Input
- Homeroom: The Musical
- STEAM Artist in Residence
- Movement for Momentum in Learning
Fall Fundraiser, another success!
Foundation 51 kicked off its second annual Fall Fling celebration and fundraiser on Friday, October 14 with delightful music by Darlin’ Corey and local band Captain Bangaroo, an extensive silent auction, and a sold out attendance. Community members, parents, teachers and administration, all came together to support the common goal of promoting academic excellence in MSAD 51. Peter and Christine Hein generously offered their barn and backyard for the event for a second year. The night was chilly and party-goers were bundled up enjoying the music, warm barn, many fire pits, and wood-fired cuisine by Fire & Co. Attendees commented that they were thrilled to gather locally to support the Foundation and the various creative and original programs we fund through grants each year. They enjoyed bidding on the silent auction in an attempt to win one of the 100 eclectic auction items. The silent auction raised just over $14,000. These funds will directly support grants in the upcoming grant cycles. The second annual Fall Fling was nothing short of a sold out success! Our goal is to grow every year so we can give more every year.